Sunday, May 18, 2008

Transformation Contest Results....

Well, I wish I could update this blog with the cheers of victory, but I cant. I even wish I could say that I got beat handily by a man with superior work ethic, genetics and better results. But I cant. Im trying hard to not be a sore loser, but I cant remember ever working so hard for a contest in my life.....and then to come out a loser. I gotta be honest, I am really bummed.

I guess I am most disappointed in how they chose the winner of this contest. If the winner was someone who was fatter than I and worked harder, had superior genetics, and came out in better shape, I would be disappointed in MY performance; and I would give the winner his props.

I really dont want to take away from the winner b/c he did work hard and made a substantial change. The guy was obese (I would guess well over 300 lbs) when he began and lost 52 lbs, lost A LOT in his gut, neck and face, and did an outstanding job. However, I would argue that he did not complete a transformation, but lost a lot of WEIGHT (even at that, I lost a higher % weight). His final pics are very noteworthy, but if you just posted his final (without reference to the start), you would think it was just a pic of an overweight person.

Again, not to sound like a disgruntled loser (which, I guess, I AM), but if I knew that the judges would be counting the actual weight loss number so heavily, I could have sucked a tremendous amount of water weight in the last days and matched his number (regardless of his size). I would have looked flat and deflated, but my WEIGHT loss would have matched his. But, it was made clear (by the gym staff) from the start that the numbers were relatively insignificant compared to the transformation pictures. I just dont understand how they arrived at their conclusion then.

Im pretty hurt by the outcome after pouring myself into this for months. I trained twice a day on most days, six days a week and I did not miss a SINGLE scheduled workout in 14 weeks (actually, still haven't). I dieted with the utmost discipline and can count the number of times I had a "treat" in 14 weeks on 3 fingers. My workouts were incredibly grueling and performed with the utmost intensity, but it was not enough.

Not much I can do except cry about it (which I understand is not very gentleman-like). So, ill stop now. Thanks to everyone for their support throughout this. Thanks to Jo for putting up with my low-carb mood swings and supporting me regardless of the time spent away. Thanks to Mom for adjusting Sunday dinner menus for her "emaciated" son, and everyone else for cheering me on.

Im gonna be bummed for a few days, but I will snap out and get back at it with even more intensity and my eyes set on that bodybuilding competition in October.

-Sean

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel so bad. I really can't believe that you didn't win. You deserve the recognition. My friends and colleagues were impressed and inspired by your hard work and your transformation. John and I are very proud of you.

There have been a couple of circumstances recently for which I don't think I got the the recognition I deserved, and other people weren't aware of the injustice of the situations. I was very disappointed and discouraged, and one the girls in the high school Bible study that I lead reminded me that God must have a reason for how things turned out. The Lord knows how hard you worked that is ultimately what matters. "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving" (Col. 3:23,24). God will honor your hard work. Again, congratulations on your results. We love you!

Colleen & John

Anonymous said...

Insert ,AND into my run-on sentence. Some English teacher I am...

Anonymous said...

Sean you did an AMAZING job. Even though you were robbed the "grand prize" at the gym you did get an even better prize. You look amazing, you are a healthier and probably happier husband, father and person. I am super impressed by your accomplishments. Keep the blog posted on future contests! Call me when you guys are in the 'cuse and need a place to workout :-)
Jo - I have to congradulate you on surviving this process. Husbands on diets are not fun!

K said...

Sean - Awesome Job! Its a bummer that you didn't win, but your friends and family are still amazed by your dedication and hot transformation! :)

Anonymous said...

Sean:
Dad and I congratulate you on your most recent accomplishment, but more importantly, we want you to know that we are so proud of all your accomplishments.

This “contest” is only a contest that is judged by not-so-perfect people who may have had some other purpose for choosing that wrong person. But their choice is clearly not the winner.

Anyone that sees your “before and after” picture for this contest will agree that you have truly mastered this task. However, anyone that sees your character will attest to your accomplished life. You seem to choose the most extreme challenges that require extreme discipline, yet you always follow them through to the end. We remember how you poured everything you had into those high school wrestling matches, yet were not always chosen the “winner.” You didn’t always walk away with the “prize trophy” but always walked away with honor in knowing that in everything you did, you did it with all your heart, might and ability, and always with honesty and integrity.

Everyone that knows you is blessed because you demonstrate “Campbell Life,” that is, hard working, loyal, true, honest, and most importantly always focused on God and the things that please Him, not just temporal things. The reward in those accomplishments is a reward that is judged by God, not people. It cannot be purchased, and it is a blessing that you will experience throughout your lifetime. It certainly isn’t a short Caribbean vacation that anyone can buy.

Remember Romans 8:28 “For God works all things for the good of those that love God according to His purpose.” Take what you have learned, and become stronger for it. You have and will always make your parents proud. We know you have made Johanna proud, and you bring to your children these things that produce the character to carry on the “Campbell Life” who always strives for the Christian Life.

Mom and Dad

The Svoboda Family said...

Hey, I say great work anyway. Your new health I'm sure will overpower the fact that you may not have won the competition end of this endeavor.